The endless statements that are invoked on us from society are filled with negativity and hate for individuality and differences in the people that make up society. There was never meant to be one cookie-cut person that made up the entire society we live in. What fun would it be to have multiples of the same personality and the same style?! We are slowly killing individuality and creativity with the judgments we are provoking on one another on a daily basis. I have personally struggled with the negativity and the endless statements about how I should be and how I should act, and I just remember these helpful tips to get through it all and be me.
Guideline 1: Focus on the Road, Not the Stop Sign
This guideline simply means that all the negative comments that are aimed at you or criticisms created about you or what you do with your life are all stop signs or obstacles that are hindering you from focusing on the future (aka the road). This may seem difficult because I know that those comments and obstacles can hit close to the gut and can stop you in your tracks, but showing your confidence and strength in who you are and what you are doing is a way to knock those comments down and turn them into gravel. Some of my favorite phrases to use personally for situations when I know that someone is just trying to invoke negativity are:
- When a friend is reeking of negativity or imposing their views onto me: “Who are you to say that the way you look at the world is better than how I see it?”
- In the workplace when peers are belittling and not constructive: “If you are not going to constructively criticize me, then how are you helping me and not preaching your view?”
- For random people who are just mean (my mom taught me this one): “I know you are and what you think you are, but I am better than the negativity you embody.”
Guideline 2: Remember that You Molded Yourself into You
Yes, some people influenced you and crafted certain elements of your personality and your life and where you may be at, but all the internal hardware and all the commentary and style… that is all YOU! How you are is how you made yourself. You have to love yourself and know that you created you and that should bring you confidence. On the flip side, if you find that you are the one bringing negativity and attracting negativity into your life through situations or certain people, then maybe it is time to reconfigure your work and learn to make yourself happy all over again. Positivity starts within yourself and it brings confidence. Certain characteristics that I have molded into myself that help me fiend off negativity are:
- Accepting my physic for what it is, while still altering and accepting that I cannot eat ice cream and cookies 24-7
- I accepted that I learn and operate differently than many others in my workplace, and have advanced those differences and turned them into a talent of learning to work with others and still be successful
- Inviting change into my life and understanding that everything positive or negative happens to me for a reason and it is my job to accept the positivity and rule out and fight the hate.
Guideline 3: Meet Your Haters with Kindness
We all have haters. People who can’t stand the way we do anything in our lives. The best way to defeat them is to be your superhero positive self and come at them with as much kindness as you can. That is every single negativity villain’s weakness. This may seem cliche, but some people don’t realize how difficult of a task this can be when they are actually put into a specific situation. You just have to remember that being an individual is not a crime its a blessing and that the negativity that those villains are trying to burden you with is just jealousy of what you created for yourself.
We all deserve to be different. We deserve to feel different, look different, think different and most of all act different. Some people may have told you it is selfish to be entitled, but when it comes to fighting negativity and criticism from society you are entitled to being yourself. There is no one in the world like you and that is what makes us all go round.
What do you all do to fight off negativity from society and those around you?
Stay YOU-nique Fellow Positivity Seekers!